MacBook Pro 2008-2009 C7771 Tantalum Capacitor Replacement
This service is to replace a faulty tantalum capacitor with a poly cap alternative.
This faulty capacitor was present on a number of 15in and 17in MacBook Pro Unibody machines made in 2008 and 2009. Not all machines in these ranges are prone to the fault, it is down to the logic board parts that were used. Specifically:
- Logic board part number: 820-2532 - MacBook Pro 2008 Original 15"
- Logic board part number: 820-2330 - MacBook Pro Mid 2009 15"
- Logic board part number: 820-2390 - MacBook Pro 2008 Original 17"
- Logic board part number: 820-2610 - MacBook Pro Mid 2009 17"
Determining if you have an affected board requires checking the logic board part number. But if you have a machine in one of these ranges that exhibits a no-power fault, there is a good chance it is suffering from the capacitor problem.
The fault exhibits as a no power fault. Sometimes if you get the machine hot (put it on a radiator) the machine will come back to life - this is sure sign the capacitor has failed.
The exact fault for those who can check, is that when shorted this cap shows 0.331v instead of 1.05v for the memory power rail. The cap leaks voltage to ground.
We replace the Tantalum C7771 capacitor with a larger Poly Cap version, and run a wire to connect it up.
Below is a list of compatible Macs for this item. You can click on any of the pictures to see the precise models it covers. We guarantee full compatibility with all models covered by each link, subject to any exceptions explicitly listed below.
MacBook Pro Unibody
- This service is to fix a specific fault present on some 2008 and Mid 2009 models. These machines all have logic board part numbers 820-2532, 820-2330, 820-2390 or 820-2610.